I realized that I need a fun book to read in conjunction with this "Dynamics". It's pretty deep, deep stuff, but I need some fiction to read before my brain explodes. But fun reading for me DOES NOT mean completely bubbly. I'm definitely not in the mood for a book like Bridget Jones' Diary. I'm thinking something that seems silly (I use that subjectively for the audience that may be reading this), but would have deep thoughts on society, etc. Something like the Ender's Game, the Diamond Age, Rainbows End...I think when it's summertime I just think about reading these punk-scifi-thrillers that would capture my imagination going to and from some office I was working at.
Someone was mentioning to me how they couldn't believe it was August already, and how sad they were because summer is their favorite season. This was a non-student-fully-grown-is-married-and-has-babies woman. I only mention this because I don't really have this feeling of a season actually ending. I remember in mid-July, at work, as people were figuring out what this project was actually going to entail, people were saying "Man, it's going to be a busy summer for me." And I thought it was weird that they were saying this like they just started summer, when really we were in the middle of summer. I remember that I was always anxious about school starting again, and this would be around the time I would be feeling this way. But all I get is empathy pains from friends, but really I wish September would come pretty soon, because at least I have a day off then!
It's weird looking at this blog, it's so crisp and clean. If a stranger were to come across it, their impressions of me would be so different. Kinda makes me think of all the people I'll meet from now on, and how none of them will know much about how I was in college, high school, etc.
I like your new blog, and you :)
ReplyDeleteFiction books to read:
ReplyDelete-I Know This Much is True: deep and serious, but it's still a really wonderful summer read and one of my favorite books of all time
-Redeeming Love: a retelling of the story of Hosea in 1850s California... YES, it's Christian fiction, but holy cow it is so freaking good
-Bee Season: silly and deep. It's about a girl's trip to a spelling bee. You would like this.
And then, there's the "Twilight" series. It's the one that has all of the hullabaloo from girls and is going to come out as a movie in the fall. I haven't read it yet, but I'm going to when I'm home in MD. It's about vampires who drink a special plasma to walk on earth. It's totally cheesy chick lit... with science fiction. I think you would like it :)
I will add more as I think of it.
Oh! And, here's a coupon for 25% off from Border's:
http://www.bordersmedia.com/coup/coupon250805.asp?cmpid=SL_20080807_REW
Oh! Also, the History of Love. It's really melancholy and sweet. Yikes, none of the suggestions I gave you were happy books...
ReplyDelete