I did my Redeemer vows at the 10:30am service last Sunday. I do feel rather weird coming into the realization that I'm actually a member of Redeemer. This is mainly weird considering, I've technically been a member since February when they approved me. And it's not like my commitment to the church changes, or that I'd be serving and seeking fellowship there any differently (except maybe I can help out at the communion now and pursue becoming a deaconess!). But I guess there is something about standing there and having all those thousands of people witness you take a vow. Even if all you're saying is "Yes." People are witnessing what you're doing. And it's not like random people, it's people you've created community with too. Many thanks to Brittany B, Chens, Susan N, Allison B, Dan T, Kyo for being part of that witness and sharing your fellowship with us! [Edit: OMG, and Lauren H, AAAHHH, I'm so sorry, this totally doesn't mean I didn't appreciate you being there!!!...awkward]
I just listened to Tim Keller's talk at The Gospel Coalition Conference in Chicago. It's great to hear a talk from him to people he knows are Christians. When he does his sermons at Redeemer, they tend to need to be watered down a bit, because you never really know what kind of people are coming in through the door. That's the great thing about his sermons of course, that they reach all levels of belief, but it's a double-edged sword. It's nice to hear him throw it down and call out people on their idols, a little more like John Owen, though for our time and our culture. Anyway, I urge everyone to check it out!
It was cool to watch the live webcast and think, "Hey, that's my pastor" and "Whoa, I'm in Jersey City, they're in Chicago and this is all happening right now! Sweet!"
Congrats on your membership!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to you and Ben!
ReplyDeleteAnd I think you would make an amazing deaconess.