Wednesday, April 29, 2009

It's gonna be interesting

If you haven't heard otherwise, Ben and I are engaged. Woot! YAY! WOW! We are so marvelously happy that so many people are so happy about it. It just feels like so much love was released into the world.

This also means we probably need lots and lots and lots of prayer against the enemy and against our own sinfulness and those around us. It sucks, but the last thing Satan wants is two Christians getting together and creating a new family. I've thought about how in general this is going to be a one-sided, rather selfish time for me. I'm going to be asking for help from a lot of people and just the thought of involving so many friends and family for my wedding (especially those with specific jobs and tasks) makes me feel a little guilty. But that's what community is about, and I know I'm battling lies of self-sufficiency in general (like not relying on Jesus in the planning process). Help me remember that I am loved and that I don't deserve this all at the same time!

A fun thought however, is that at such a time as this, I can actually plan a wedding quite comfortably. It's not like I'm swamped at work. I am soooo organized it's not even funny. Ben was saying how this is just like a merger, which is the project I'm on now! I could make a gant chart and a project schedule on MS Project if I wanted to! I'm such a Project Manager. It'll be hilarious if I end up being one in some future time, considering these weird beginnings being apprenticed to the most self-sufficient PM.

Also, I realized that it'll be fun sharing ideas on this blog. Today, I've thought about flowers for a little bit. With the possibility of having a winter wedding, it's a daunting thought. But this site seemed to have some good advice about flowers that are in season and using a mix of silk flowers for the ones I really, really want (which are orchids and calla lillies). What do you think of the winter flowers they suggest?

4 comments:

  1. 1) Again, I say, CONGRATULATIONS!! Aside from the fact that weddings make me deliriously happy, I've been crossing my fingers for you and Ben ever since you two got together and can't wait to see all the beautiful and wonderful things God has in store for you through your marriage!

    2) I would definitely not go with jasmine if you're going with lilies and orchids. Both of those are already so fragrant that adding jasmine, another fragrant flower, could make the whole assortment too overpowering. I love the idea of the Stars of Bethlehem...they're so pretty, and supposedly not too expensive.

    Just my two cents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, if I got the silk flowers of the orchids and lillies, then it should be fine either way. Jasmine would be good then to cover the fact that the other two are silk flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good news! It appears from most sites I'm looking at that orchids are most definitely a winter flower, so going silk on them probably won't save you much money. So, it's just down to the callas. Some sites are saying they are year-round, but some are saying their spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY WORD!
    That picture of those flowers is GORGEOUS GORGEOUS GORGEOUS!!!!

    I look forward to reading all about your wedding planning process!!!!!!!!!!!!

    And why would you feel guilty about involving people with specific tasks for your wedding? Isn't that the whole point of all this finance stuff you are always trying to get us to think about? That we have to be an interdependent community helping each other out? COME ON PLAYA!!!

    Send some jobs my way. I'll get them DONE.

    ReplyDelete