Monday, March 9, 2009

Who's money is it anyway? - RANT

This seems like the redux version of this movie. Very cool and very informative. Talk about generational sin! This is like me and my parents times trillions of dollars.

It made me think of some stuff about money that kind of really annoy me about people. This is why people should be paying taxes if you owe them. Give to Caeser what is Caeser's. For me, you don't have a right to complain about the government if 1) you don't vote 2) you don't pay taxes when you should. But forget about the practicality of paying taxes to a free government - it ain't your money anyway!

I think it's great when people are so generous to charity and ministry which is something, believe it or not, Americans do relatively well. But there seems to be a lot of Americans who wish they didn't have to pay taxes at all and get defensive about the government getting their money....but that's the thing, it's not our money, it's God's. So if it's not yours, then what's the difference between the duty of tithing and the obligation to "Caeser", both of which are commanded? My theory is it's easy to give to charity because it feels good, it's an obvious "good work" that maybe not everyone sees, but somebody sure does, even if it's just the person working at the church counting up the offering basket. But taxes don't feel good at all, they just feel like their taking money away with no "good works" points in return.

I think it's obvious that that's not the reason why we should be giving our money to anything. Life should be an outpouring of gratefulness and praise to God. Last time I checked money is definitely a part of life, especially living in the richest country in the world!! So giving my money to the Navigators is not how I gauge my love of money, it's more than that. Do I spend my money generously on other people? Do I pay my taxes without a grudge? Do I save so as not to be a burden on others? And really the question is: Who's money is this and am I using it in a way that is glorifying to Him? It's not about behavior modification, it's about what you believe about your money.

Of course, of course I'm not perfect at all in this. But I thought I'd get that off my chest, because now that it's tax season, I'm reading a lot about this stuff, and the fact that not paying taxes now is just going to lead to higher taxes later is rational, yet we are so not rational.

No comments:

Post a Comment