Among the many adjustments one goes through when they decide to get married, I thought I would write about how adjusting to my engagement ring has been like. It's been odd to wear something 24/7 at work, on the subway, in bed, in the shower, that is sooooo valuable on so many different levels, and not just to me but to another person as well. The only thing that comes close are my earrings with my birthstone, and that's just cause I'm too lazy to take out TWO sets of earrings, and just take out one. I have to be careful now when I wear certain scarves, because little pieces of thread get caught on the setting of the ring. I haven't needed to wear gloves much, but I can imagine not knowing how to do that properly. It's also just really distracting and sparkly, so it's kind of really hard to forget you're engaged. It's just weird to be so normal, sitting on the couch, having some fried chicken, and all of a sudden the light catches on it and you realize you don't know if you should be eating with your hands.
Of course, I can and will, I'm pilipina after all. But it kind of draws on a larger point. It truly symbolizes a promise, a promise of going into a covenant relationship. One of my aunts when reacting to the news of our engagement talked about how in Jewish culture when you're betrothed people are basically already married (citing how Joseph thought he needed to divorce Mary quietly, when they were betrothed). And it's interesting because I heard from a Redeemer class once that the Greek word they use for the seal of the Holy Spirit or something (doing this from memory, SO not a seminary student) is actually the word for engagement ring. Basically, symbolizing how as Christians we are all engaged, and we keep being engaged until the Wedding Feast of the Lamb, when the church finally marries Christ. We don't get a ring from Jesus, we get the Holy Spirit who is always there 24/7 at work, on the subway, in bed, in the shower. Except it's a lot easier to forget that we belong to Jesus. It's a lot easier to just eat fried chicken and be a slob without even a thought to our marvelous state of being the Beloved. (again, not that there's anything wrong with that ^_^ just making a point).
Anyway, engagement is just this like really weird, unique time when that reality can really manifest itself.
=)
ReplyDelete