Wednesday, September 24, 2008

G1 and Woot Off!

Ok, so I was kind of distracted yesterday, reading everything I could about this phone, that I forgot to really tout why I think it's so cool. First of all, it would change my life. It's automatically connected to everything you've got on Google: Gmail, Gchat, Gtalk(which I've never used, but hey), Calendar, Contacts. As long as you've got only one username and password to deal with, this would streamline everything you organize your life with (ahem Mrs. Ziesel). Well...except for the budget, but really what fun is it to do Excel on a tiny thing like that. The beauty is, any updates you make on the phone, show up in your Google account seconds later. It is more like a very small laptop, by use and design. There's a keypad and a tracker ball on the right, which is a bit more intuitive for people used to how a computer works. And oh my goodness, I love the idea for Google maps. It has this compass thing so you can use streetview and the phone can figure out which direction you're facing and changes the screen as you move!! Talk about enhanced reality. Obviously, this means it has GPS. It's also usable on wireless hotspots, which would make it go faster (something the iPhone currently doesn't have), and this would especially help in a city like NY. It would run on Tmobile's 3G otherwise.

The thing is though, the Android interface has been open sourced so it's really up to the programmers of the world to figure out how to make this better. This model is much like the little gadgets you can put on your iGoogle and/or blogspot page. So maybe it can't do a budget now, but a budgeting program could be developed by some guy somewhere. And if the keyboard really bothers you, someone out there is going to figure out how to make an on screen one. Maybe someone will make the Lemmings game again, and I could play it on my G1 (oh how I miss those fools).

Btw, there's a Woot Off today (and there was one yesterday too). And I was sooooooo close to buying a Roomba today (a computer yesterday). Woot is this website that sells some gadgets for usually cheaper. It sells one thing a day usually and posts it at 1am of that day..and they usually sell out pretty early. But a woot off is when they sell several things a day. And they have a flat shipping rate of $5 whether it's an electric shaver or a flat screen TV.

But I can't afford anything. Seriously, I can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment