On to the main purpose of this post.
As most of you know, I have this awesome (as in efficient, not necessarily wise ^_^) budget that I created on Excel. Of course though, it has some limitations. It's very time intensive when looking up and entering transactions and I've never been able to figure out how to effectively integrate my student loans on there. So I finally gave in and opened up a Mint account, something I had been hearing about for awhile. It's one of many free budget tools online. It hooks up into all your accounts (checking, savings, brokerage, 401K, IRA's, loans, credit cards, name the financial institution and it's on there) and compiles them all. I think the coolest part about it is the pie charts as shown below.
What's below the pie chart is also interesting because you can compare how much you spend to how much other people who use Mint spend in any city. And it even does it per business. So basically I can compare how much people spend in NY at French Roast on average to how much I spend in a month! There's really a lot more to it and here is a fuller review. I'm just highlighting what I think are the coolest features I've played with so far.
It's really easy to use, and once it's setup, it's setup automatically as in it refreshes the accounts by itself. I think the most tedious part in setting up is just looking through the transactions and putting them in the right categories. But a lot of them are really automatically there (like it recognizes Ann Taylor as Clothing). I'll probably keep using my Excel budget, just because it gives me a remarkable amount of control and I can see the impact of a transaction whenever I want to, not like wait around until it hits my account. But getting to play with the charts in this thing, getting reminders about when a credit card bill is due, and getting to check only this site to see if something has gone through (as in I don't have to go to all the different websites of all my different banks and credit cards) are good additions to the way I manage and analyze my money.
So yeah, this is another post on money...but I've got the time on my hands and the attention span to match. I don't know if any of you would actually go and do this, but I think it's super cool. Any interest out there? Comments?
It looks really cool. Call me a crazy, backwards Kansan, but I'm still just a little nervous about sending my banking information to a website. Is this just me?
ReplyDeleteIt's a valid point. Here is what they say about their security: http://www.mint.com/features/security/
ReplyDeleteYou could also use Quicken instead, if a trusted name like Intuit (which also created Turbo Tax) makes you feel more comfortable.
That was my concern also. I'll efinitely look into it though!
ReplyDeleteI really like the way this links to my account (most free budgeting sites don't do that), but I can't seem to find a way to add income that doesn't get deposited into the bank: ie - money from babysitting, $10 from Dad for gas, etc. Maybe I'm just blind, though?
ReplyDelete