Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Things I'd rather pay attention to

It's interesting how I really do utilize myself. Being that I don't have much to do, I have all this time and energy that I bring into any issue that arises, from being on hold with the cable company for a few hours to opening new bank accounts and credit cards. But I think, a lot of times, this is just too much freedom and I end up blowing off a lot of stuff that I probably should be doing. The stuff that really matters.

One example of something that doesn't really matter: I'm getting a hair cut today. I scheduled it with the same girl who did it last time, which is new for me. I've never found someone to be loyal to. But it seems that the cut I got last time just grew out so nicely, I need to try her out again and to see if it's for real.

Also, LOST! I got Ben hooked on it last Summer and I've been watching all the old episodes with him. Also, for the first time I am for real all caught up because I finished last season's episodes when I was at home with the HDTV!!! It was interesting, because I think it's really easy to forget how all these people got started with all the questions asking/answering and new questions forming every single episode. It's interesting being sad again when people died and being nostalgic about when certain things happen or people are introduced. And now, I can truly say nothing is really in the way of me watching every single episode, like a normal person following a show. I've waited all of college for this.

Another thing I've busied myself with is my taxes. I found out from the NY state website that I can get my taxes done for free at http://www.taxslayer.com/ (eligible to people under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age...check the NY State site to make sure it's the best one for you). Only thing though, is that it doesn't really explain things very well. Really, it's just only slightly more useful (and more aesthetically pleasing) than the form itself. So what I would do is open a TurboTax account for free (in fact make sure you pick the Free Edition, and if you prefer you can do your Federal taxes on there...there's also a Freedom Edition for people making less than a certain amount). They're a lot more user friendly when it comes to asking you questions and you actually getting all the deductions right. Then check back to TaxSlayer and input all the different items, since TurboTax so nicely categorizes it for you anyway. It's rare for both the federal and state tax return to be filed for FREE! You just pay a processing fee for the e-file (unless you mail it in yourself). Don't use a service. But then, even if you do, the fees you use for the service are deductible for next year. Anyway, checking out your own state's tax site is totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment