
4) I had my first two guinea pigs (I hold guinea pigs in high regard, so don't be offended if this was you) with budget counseling. It was a great opportunity for me because they had completely different financial situations that I had to come up with different solutions. Plus, it's really quite exhausting, you can really feel the "counseling" part of it sometimes. I heard myself saying things like "Look at this number, how does it make you feel?" It was just weird having to nudge people and kick them in the butt to help them reconsider some things. Also, it kinda helps me figure out what I know exactly and how to go about doing stuff like this, since just like any talent we are given, its purpose is to serve other people, so fine-tuning how I present information is a good idea. If anyone else wants to go through this with me, let me know!
5) I never thought running into your counselor on the street would be such a non-awkward and even happy experience. I would definitely be this woman's friend if I wasn't paying her.
6) Ben makes me like old people more than I probably would.
7) Thought on the opera we saw Orfeo ed Euridice. At first you think it's just this simple myth, but I thought about it some more.
Here's a brief Xaris synopsis: Orfeo is the child of one of the muses and a mortal (I forget who) so he has the gift of music. So Orfeo's wife Euridice dies right after their wedding. He's all sad about it so Cupid (Amor) comes down and offers him a deal. He can go to the land of the dead to retrieve his wife as long as he can get through the gates of Hades and he cannot actually look at his wife nor tell her why he can't. So he gets through the gates because the Furies and the ghosts all feel bad for him via his use of song. He gets to the Elysian fields and heroes and other good souls bring him his wife. As they're trying to go back to the living world, Euridice gets all angsty and upset because Orfeo won't look at her. She thinks their love is lost and that she's bound to this life of grief and would rather have stayed dead. In anguish, Orfeo looks at her. She dies, again. Orfeo tries to kill himself but Amor stops him and tells him that he's shown his devotion and will bring Euridice back to life again. Then they (Amor, nymphs, and some shepherds) all dance and sing in celebration of the power of love.
It sounds pretty la-di-da and simplistic, of course theologically wrong. However, I thought about the whole Orfeo can't look at her thing. Cupid sings about it saying something like, because lovers can be blind and unable to see the truth. So what does it mean when Orfeo looks at Euridice? I thought maybe it's like he finally sees her truly so she dies because her true self is revealed and dead, and Orfeo wants to die because he's killed his love then only Cupid (Amor/love) can save both Orfeo and Euridice granting them mercy.
It's kind of interesting to think about. I would die if I were to be seen as I truly am, and only God's love can save me. I would be filled with anguish if I harm someone so deeply, that only God's love can ease my burden and give me joy. I think this is just one of those stories that no one ever thinks much about, but for some reason everyone likes. And it's because it points to a longing within ourselves for grace and hope. It points to a fulfilled need of Jesus.
Man, Con West was totally worth it. Those Ancient Greeks sure were in touch with the psychology and mental psyche of man.
I liked the part about dancing and singing to the power of Love.
ReplyDelete#4) As one of the so-called guinea pigs, I just have to say that if anyone, ANYONE, ANYONE!!!! is considering whether or not they should have Xaris help them with their finances. They should do it. right now. Go. run. Call her. Have her sit down and tell you how to spend your money. It was the most productive hour and a half I have ever spent with my money. DO IT. She's a rockstar.
ReplyDeleteSorry I got so excited I forgot to comment on Orfeo and Eurydice.... Sarah Ruhl wrote the most incredible play they did at 2nd Stage Theater last year called Eurydice and it was a more modern and yet very etheral retelling of this story and it was incredible, beautiful and heartbreaking. I have the play if you want to borrow it and read it. It's well worth it. :-)
ReplyDelete