Monday, February 9, 2009

"Monday, Monday...I wish it was Sunday"


I've like really hated Mondays. Always threatening me with a headache. Particularly, this Monday I am heavy with thoughts swirling in my head. I could use some prayer, friends.


Ben's been reading "The Mortification of Sin" by John Owen. Ben told me about how Owen emphasizes hating sin and how we don't really hate sin enough. I haven't read it myself, but I have thought about the casual way sin just goes in and out of my life..that's how I can describe it. Like there will be times when a particular lie creeps back into my life and like Eve, I believe it. I don't really think about the destruction, hurt, and cosmic let down sin is, not just to those it affects, but also to God. So in effect, our repentance can be predicated on not truly understanding what we did so wrong, and really just looking for relief from our guilt and shame. I mean, don't get me wrong, I think it's a good place to start, but not understanding sin is like not understanding God at all.

Sigh, yeah just been thinking about that. Will probably start reading John Owen too.

Last Sunday, Tim Keller gave the best sermon I've ever heard on the Gospel. As in a sermon about the Gospel itself, not like a certain aspect of it. I'm so glad I volunteered at the nursery yesterday, because I got the sermon for free ^_^. I might write more about it when I hear it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment