
I'm soooo happy they re-stocked the cafeteria! They had my large M&M cookie and chocolate milk, which they haven't had for the last few weeks (well on Fridays anyway ^_^).
I totally just wasted my time looking for code that does that "Related Posts" thing at the bottom. None of the codes I could find was working for me, and I just gave up. Especially in my job now, sometimes I wish I'd done Computer Science. As long as you keep learning and keep up with stuff you're totally employable. Plus, once you really hone in on a system or niche, you could do projects for as long as the company utilizes that system. It just seems like such an easy and fun job, fixing problems through code and by specification. I was pretty good at it in high school, despite being the only girl in my AP Computer Programming class. It was just a fluff AP course to look like I'm working hard. It was nothing though, because it's not like we had homework because all the work was done in class. It was my first period class and I would be late everyday, but Mr. Johnson really liked me so I got away with it.
I found out that iGoogle can now show me my Gmail stuff at work (before it wouldn't expand and was blocked). It left me wondering about why I got my BlackBerry. True, I had wanted one for a few years, so it was no impulse purchase. But now that I have it, it is showing me my affinity for technology and how I'm really not afraid of it. I find out about new apps all the time, and I've implemented a lot of things that really are changing my life and how I do things. For example, when I'm going somewhere new, I don't really look stuff up at home anymore. I just get on the train and look it up while I'm still above ground. Actually, I barely turn my computer on, maybe once every two weeks (...I watch Lost on Erica's computer once and awhile and I'm at work all day staring at a screen). It's also sooo much easier reading Spurgeon and John Owen when I don't have to worry about printing something out. I also know more about what's going on with my family, because I read every single email sent to our distribution lists (I have a large family). I Facebook and Twitter more than I would've. I keep track of my finances better: no need for receipts, no need for constant updating, no need to remember when to pay bills, no need to be in the dark about my balances, easy to look for phone numbers.
AND, get this, I'm actually more careful about my boundaries because of my BBerry. I actually turn it off at night. I whole-heartedly want to say that my BBerry is NOT a Crackberry. I already feel the way my fingers just wanna reach for it in the middle of dinner when there's a lull, but NO I shall resist it (unless the other person is checking out their phone too, then I feel the permission to look). If I had a normal cell phone, I probably wouldn't hesitate checking text messages, but I actively try not to look at the BBerry if someone is with me. And I think I'm still at a point where I could probably live without it.
Btw, I'm on Google Latitude because 1) I like being an early adopter 2) If I'm trying to meet someone and can't find them, it's a useful tool and/or I'm hanging out in the Village or something and want to see if anyone is around. That kind of spontaneity is now missing in my life, considering I don't go to a "campus" where I can possibly run into a bunch of people I know and randomly have coffee. I figure it's just Facebook on Google Maps, my Facebook status can tell you a lot about where I am emotionally, why not have something that tells you where I am locationally. Plus, you choose who gets to know and to what level of detail...like Facebook.
I realize that network effects is key here and it's gonna take awhile until my circle of friends are comfortable with it, so it's largely just for my own personal fun for now. But that's how it was on Twitter which I got on like 2 years ago or something, and NOW look at it. I have probably communicated with my cousin more often in the last 2 months than in the previous 3 years.
ANYWAY, all this to highlight the ways I live my life differently today versus 10 months ago, technologically speaking. As a Google devotee and one suspicious of/annoyed with Apple. I found this video amusing.
3 cheers for owning a BBerry (not a CBerry)!
ReplyDelete