Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Brief thought

Donald Miller on his support for Obama.

Eloquently put, but I'm not gonna lie, I don't think Donald Miller is as awesome as most young Christians do. (My brother met him once btw.) I digress. I think the greatest challenge with voting for Obama was his stance on abortion. So I do like how Miller points out how the conservative right seems to focus in on the morality, never accounting for the economic problems that lead to unwanted pregnancies. Much like my previous post about Dr. Peter Heslam, societal problems need to be looked at in a bigger way than just what's right and what's wrong, because frankly we're all devastatingly wrong. We all share the blame for a broken world where some people become marginalized, economically and spiritually poor. It seems to me that Jesus walked the earth healing people in this way.

On the other hand, (and this is completely anecdotal and not based on anything scientific) it seems that most people who are making their voice heard in the pro-choice movement are not the young teenage girls coming from impoverish areas. Honestly, I think of SATC and how Carrie Bradshaw and her friends just feels free to have an abortion (in her normal pathetic remorseful way, but you know). Like it's just made up of young single women who just don't want the consequences of their "accidental" sex.

So, I'm not really sure what to think about the issue in terms of policy. Except that it's probably more complicated than most people think, and there is hypocrisy on both sides of the equation. I've never really been forced to truly take a stance since it's not the issue that is most dear to my heart. I am a business person after all, and the power of business in changing lives (as can be keenly felt today, though it is always happening) has more meaning to me than what the government says people can or cannot do.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh... I TOTALLY agree with you on Donald Miller. He makes me ill.

    ReplyDelete