Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Meetings

I don't know if it's been obvious, but the past few days I just haven't a clue what to write about. So I just grab something random in my head and write about it. Let's see, what will it be today?

How about meetings...Things can get kind of hairy at work. There's politics going on in any work environment, and it always makes things dicey. It's interesting though, because it almost always never shows up in clear view at a meeting, but my project being what it is, there's a bit more drama involved. So I think it shows up more often than in normal offices and in plain view, not like in whisperings and one-on-one conversations behind closed doors. Which is great for me, because meetings are when I turn on, and when I get to do something, and when I can say I am doing something. Don't get me wrong, the real issues are still rather muted. I hate it when all the drama is played out in emails that I'm not a part of or conversations I could never have with any of the clients. I feel like I never really know what's going on until the meeting (which is too late and that's all the advantage I got at this job really).

Anyway, I think my point is real world meetings are different and more showy. You never get anything actually done in a meeting, just a lot of questions and posturing. But in college world, meetings were hairy as it was. Issues were fleshed out and argued over. Real decisions were made (not left open ended to be decided quietly) sometimes rather dramatically.

No comments:

Post a Comment