Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Commuting

There are certain things that make living in NY horrible. On my list number 1 is laundry. Number 2 is COMMUTING. It's not even the length of it (because on that point I have no right to complain since many, many people have longer commutes than I; and to an extent I choose where I live), it's the psychology of it. Man, I thought I knew what commuting was in school, but no, no you really don't until you get the Grand Central-esque experience of people in black coats and boots moving really quickly and purposefully. Moving en masse with millions of New Yorkers on a twice daily basis can make my soul feel pretty sapped. Here's what sucks:

1) The constant and persistent pushing/jostling/touching a stranger
2) Establishment of dominance (either by me or someone else) so that the other person steps aside/stays put
3) Dull, unhappy faces
4) The thought that once I get to my destination, I am stuck there for some period of time, and if not, I feel my time is wasted.
5) The feeling that I am constantly surrounded and in public, anonymous yet exposed.

I am currently commuting at least 2 hours a day. A longer commute might be a little more relaxing as there is probably a longer stretch of not being in the mode of 2) (though it is a detriment to sleep and sanity; I had a 3 hours a day commute to ML when I still lived in Jersey City), and a shorter commute would of course be great in general (though not realistic for most people in this city). Millions of people do what I do, I tell myself. I have actually seen a few people come from Astoria to Pavonia/Newport with me. It's not uncommon at all, but that only makes it more of a problem than making me feel any better.

So the fact that the MTA is cutting the W line this spring is gonna really piss me off I fear. It's cutting the service up there in half and will equal longer waits or more crowded trains...well both. Either way, it's a longer, rougher commute for a higher price.

Life doesn't suck all that much, but I thought I should finally vet out some of my feelings about the issue being a long time commuter in the tri-state area. I look forward to someday finally having a "normal" 30-minute commute!!!

1 comment:

  1. I am worried about my future commute. I think I am going to be armed with a Blackberry, laptop and at least 3 books at all times.

    ReplyDelete