Monday, December 15, 2008

Some Art

Ben and I went to the 9:15 Redeemer yesterday because it was a Lessons & Carols service (btw, they do have mini-muffins, but they don't have apple juice!). This was on the cover of the bulletin. I thought it was really funny because of how it looked, but it made me wish I could have that voice-over like they do in the History channel that quickly explains to me why the faces look the way they do. Haha, I just think it's so funny. Mary's like catching Jesus like a football or something OR pointing at the sleeping Joseph in exasperation. And look at the angel who looks like it's just going "Tada, Christmas..." I would've done captions, but there's something about really old art that you just don't want to tarnish. You gotta respect things that are old (it's from the 1200s).


This on the other hand is not that old at all. I've mentioned this piece before, having quoted the phrase on it "Empowerment cannot be translated as entitlement" I first saw it at the MoMA, but turns out it's actually a functional bookshelf for OneStar Press books that the MoMA (obvi) bought. I don't actually know what these books are about or who writes them, but I really like the idea of the book shelf. Somehow it really communicates the power of books and education in general. I put the picture of it in the background of my phone, and it has served as an occasionally edifying reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment