Monday, December 1, 2008

Movie Quotes and Budgeteering

I'm a bit of a movie freak. But only a bit, not too much. Really, it's just like saying I'm an escapist. But I like to think it's more than that because I read the movie section of the NY Times, and read up on the business of Hollywood.

Anyway, amongst the many wonderful things I got to enjoy this Thanksgiving weekend with the amazing Grace L (with whom, I realized, I have had a profound number of shared unique experiences with), was being able to just watch movies. I continued doing so when I got home because LOTR and Tomorrow Never Dies were on. I also finally got to watch The Family Man, which came out in 2000. I've thought about this film many, many times so I'm so glad I finally got it out of the way. It had a smattering of golden quotes in it; one of which was: "Don't screw up the best thing in your life just because you're a little unsure about who you are."

Here's one from The Two Towers...indulge me:
"Frodo: I can't do this, Sam.
Sam: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.
Frodo: What are we holding onto, Sam?
Sam: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for. "

On other news, another person has caught a glimpse of my overwhelming budget skills. Christine, my coworker from the Ops group, was coming over for a bit of chit chat while I was madly going through my receipts from this weekend as well as just doing the month end stuff. She was like, "Are you busy?" I was like, "Nope." Then she said, "Man, it looked like some complicated mapping or something." I think sometimes I work on my budget just because it does kinda look like work. She further explained that her mother did all her accounting for her and does not even know any of her passwords nor how much is in her bank account...I could not even imagine. This is from a girl who wears Brooks Brothers shirts with cuff links and looks fabulous EVERYDAY (yes, Grace, she's that girl) and has generally had more experience and knowledge about the business than me. I was semi-shocked.

Good news is whenever I show someone my budget, they inevitably figure out I'm a Christian ^_^. She was like, "Who are those people? Why do they get a piece of the deal?" And I say, "Oh, they're my missionary friends." And leave the rest of the explanation for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment