Monday, December 8, 2008

Theme Songs

There are a lot of parallels between now and 4 years ago, I think. It's almost designed that way when you go to college and graduate and get a job. One I thought was kind of interesting to point out was my choice of theme songs. You know, like how TV shows have that one theme song that never changes because it encompasses a lot of the ongoing themes of the show. I think people should definitely have theme songs for different seasons of life. For my freshman year, it was definitely Kelly Clarkson's Breakaway, for the most obvious reasons. Note that she was an American Idol and this song was popular at the time. It just felt really right.

Now, in this recent grad situation I'm in, it's Jordan Sparks's One Step At A Time. Also from an American Idol and also has been pretty popular. Maybe it's because American Idol winners and the like are encouraged to have these kind of hopeful, making a change kind of songs since that's literally what America has seen them do, so a song celebrating that is automatically going to be popular. It's very marketable.


So yes, of course I'm going to find songs like this, because young people like to sing and hear about songs that talk about how hard and frustrating it can be to be young and unestablished, with no cred whatsoever. But it doesn't make it less magical to find that one song that just expresses so much about where you're at. It's like you're thinking about something, and all of a sudden this person who has nothing to do with you and is thousands of miles away starts expressing your exact feelings in a way you understand and completely relate to. It's like a Tim Keller sermon. It's so deeply affirming.

No comments:

Post a Comment